Friday, February 27, 2009

Sustainable Table

Sustainable Table

Ever wanted an outdoor picnic table that could survive for centuries? I was at A-1 concrete in Ilwaco (formerly Big River, Dennis Company, Hart's, etc.) watching Bill Clearman construct one of our Lewis and Clark monuments and the concrete crew showed me this cool...nearly indestructible and very heavy bench. Heavy, earthy, stout, monumental, and massive but sort of cool in a Stone Henge, Giza Pyramid, Machu Picchu sort of way. Oddly enough, the simple design fits with the concrete of the WWI, CCC, WWII era, and I took a liking to it.

Of course, unless you've got a tractor to move the thing around, better find the best spot for it because you are never going to move it unless you've got ten men and a boy. It does come apart in the same way that a D-9 Caterpillar comes apart, every piece could crush you on disassembly.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Seaview, Washington, United States
I live a mile from where I was born but sometimes I feel like a stranger in my own strange land. Descendant from gold miners (The Yukon and Mexico), coal miners (Wales, British Columbia and Washington), timbermen (Sweden), sod and berry farmers (Missouri, Washington), Klondikers, fortune seekers and just plain hearty peasant stock.