Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dune Blows

I've been walking along the fore dune and ocean beach frontage of Seaview pretty frequently and have noticed the dramatic growth of the dune top this winter. Nearly 4 vertical feet in many areas, new sand blown in this winter has created a very peaked effect.

Equal if not more dramatic are the gap trails and roads, many have grown well over 8 feet high at the immediate area slightly behind the foredune by the local venturi effect of wind blasting through the gaps, then settling down in large mounds immediately behind the fore dune. While they make walking out to and back from the beach a bit more difficult, the loose soft sand makes it nearly impossible for 4wd vehicles to climb the fore dune face. This is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Seaview, Washington, United States
I live a mile from where I was born but sometimes I feel like a stranger in my own strange land. Descendant from gold miners (The Yukon and Mexico), coal miners (Wales, British Columbia and Washington), timbermen (Sweden), sod and berry farmers (Missouri, Washington), Klondikers, fortune seekers and just plain hearty peasant stock.